Friday 25 February 2011

Braintree Golf Club - Stonebridge Society competition

Well the first competition got under way for the Stonebridge society at Braintree Golf Club near Stisted in Essex. There were 20 players and although this was a non-scoring events in terms of the Grand Prix, prizes were given for 1st 2nd and closest-to-the-pin which I managed to win!

One problem which was expected was rain. Playing in the rain requires a whole new mindset. And rain it did over the whole round.
I discovered my play is effected massively by wet-weather equipment and once my club grips get wet my confidence plummets. The greens in particular were effected with water not soaking away and leaving the greens in a very poor condition to get those important 2 putts.
The course itself was close to being shut for play, but considering the event had been booked for 3 weeks before had, us hardened 20 souls ventured out.
The point scoring reflected the bad conditions with the winner coming in with 30 Stableford points followed by second on 24. I felt an odd pang of disappointment and only managed to get into double figure (14 points) with more blobs than I dare to think about.

For more information about this fantastic course see the link below

No comments:

Post a Comment